|Please help improve this article or section by expanding it.|
- For the country itself, see the Papal States.
The Papal Controller is a title held by the Catholic nation with most Controlled (loyal) Cardinals in the Curia simultaneously.
The Papal Controller will gain following bonuses:
- Stability Cost Modifier: -5%
- Diplomats: +1
- Yearly Prestige: +1
- Possible Advisors: +2
- Yearly Papal Influence: +2
- Leaders without Upkeep: +1
- Can Excommunicate Catholics
- Can call crusades
- Break royal ties (marriage) without the -1 stability hit.
The Curia controller can excommunicate an enemy. This requires the enemy to be Catholic, and for the Papal States to have an opinion of -50 of the enemy. Excommunication gives every other Catholic nation a Casus Belli against them and increases yearly decay of prestige.
- Yearly Prestige : -2
- Tolerance of the True Faith : -3
- Monthly Papal Influence : -5
Call a crusade
The Curia controller can also call a crusade against a single target. This target must be a heathen and the Papal States must have an opinion of -50 of the target. Catholic nations that border the crusade target receive a Casus Belli against it, and all Catholic nations at war with the crusade target receive bonuses to manpower, morale, prestige and yearly papal influence while they are at war with them.
- National Tax Modifier Bonus : +10%
- Morale of Armies : +10%
- National Manpower Modifier : +30%
- Yearly Prestige : +1
- Monthly Papal Influence : +2
The Curia is made up of seven Cardinals who, once chosen, remain in the Curia until death.
Cardinals maintain a loyalty to the country that has invested the mostpapal influence in them; a country's loyal cardinals are referred to as Controlled Cardinals. Once a Cardinal enters the Curia, he can no longer be influenced, and remains loyal to the same country.
For each controlled Cardinal you get the following benefits:
There are also five Future Cardinals, awaiting entry to the Curia once another Cardinal dies. These Cardinals can be swayed towards a country by investing papal influence into them. Cardinals can only be influenced in increments of 5. A list of all influencers displays when hovering over the Future Cardinal's current controller.
When a Cardinal in the Curia dies, a random Future Cardinals is chosen to succeed him. He is replaced by a new, randomly generated Future Cardinal.
Cardinals have a country of origin, and that country gains a starting bonus to influence him. Which nation the Cardinal comes from is related to their annual papal influence gain; the higher the gain, the more likely a nation is to receive initial control of the Cardinal. The formula for how much influence is initially invested in the owned cardinal is as follows:
floor( (Yearly PI gain - Bonus from opinion with the Papal States) * 3 )
Papal influence, used to gain the loyalty of Cardinals, accumulates on a monthly basis.
NB: Papal influence does not determine when a Future Cardinal enters the Curia.
The following modifiers affect the total yearly gain of papal influence:
- +5% of a country's total annual base tax (only considering Catholic provinces)
- +0.05 per courthouse
- +5 per cathedral
- From -0.02 to +0.02 per Papal State opinion point towards you (Modifier ranging from -4 to +4)
- From -0.01 to +0.01 per Prestige point (Modifier ranging from -1 to +1)
- Up to +5.00 from religious unity
- +2 for the current Papal Controller
- +2 for the current Defender of the Faith
- +0.5 for being at peace