- Ottoman 1444 to 1821
- Portugal 1444 to ----
Aztec Achievement Attempt
Claimed Zapotec territory and invaded. Settled for peace for two sugar provinces, but it would probably be better to have gone for military vassalage. Annexed Zapotec. Maya invaded, military vassalage for them. Finished annexing Maya in 1506.
Base cost, maintenance, and build time depend only on the type.
|Build time (days)||Annual upkeep|
Note that these are base values; maintenance in particular rises sharply with Diplomatic technology. Each ship costs ducats to upkeep every month. The amount depends on the type of ship and is proportional to the cost to build the ship, so reductions in ship cost will also reduce maintenance.
- Unlike land units, the tech modifier to Naval maintenance stacks multiplicatively with other modifiers. Thus, reductions to Naval Maintenance keep their strength better throughout the game than their land counterpart.
- The Grand Shipyard building reduces ship cost and thus maintenance of ships built there.
- Being over Force Limit will multiply the maintenance cost of ships by the force limit proportion. For example, being at 150% of the force limit will result in maintenance being 150% of normal.
- For a homogeneous fleet, the marginal maintenance of each ship is about twice the force limit proportion. For example, being at 150% of the force limit will result in the next ship adding about 300% of its normal maintenance.
- Light Ships suffer the penalty to their build cost as well, which squares the effect on maintenance cost. For example, being at 150% of the force limit with all Light Ships will result in maintenance being 225% of normal.
- In this case, the marginal maintenance is about three times the force limit proportion squared. For example, being at 150% of the force limit with all Light Ships will result in the next light ship adding about 675% of its normal maintenance.
The unmodified monthly cost of a light ship is
.083 gold /month or 1 gold / year
This gives a annual upkeep of 5% of the build cost:
1 gold / year * build_cost/ 20 gold = .05 * build_cost / year
The build cost for a light ship is
Rforce = force ratio = number of ships / force Limit build_cost = 20 gold Coriginal = build_cost * construction_modifiers Cfinal = Coriginal * Rforce
The modified annual cost of a light ship is
.05*Rforce * Cfinal .05*Rforce2 * Coriginal
L = naval force limit = 100 Slight = number of light ships = 150 Sheavy = number of heavy ships = 0 Rforce = force ratio = number of ships / force Limit = 1.5
Mlight = monthly maintenance of a light ship = .05 * 1.52 * 20 gold *1 year/ 12 months = .1875 gold / month Mheavy = monthly maintenance of a heavy ship = .1 * 1.5 * 50 gold *1 year/ 12 months = .625 gold / month
The break-even point, at which the cost of an additional light ship is equal to the additional tariff efficiency benefit, exists when the following components are equal:
P = number of overseas provinces L = naval force limit Slight = number of light ships Sheavy = number of heavy ships Mlight = monthly maintenance of a light ship Mheavy = monthly maintenance of a heavy ship Rtariff = monthly tariff revenue E = monthly tariff efficiency = (Sheavy + Slight) / P
The monthly cost Cunder limit = cost of maintaining