The Validator is a utility tool for Windows, allowing to find all sorts of errors inside the game files. It has found numerous bugs, both in vanilla and in mods.
It is sometime the only way to locate the source of some random CTDs or some weird engine bugs.
Validator is updated regularly, and the number of false positives is constantly shrinking. If the Validator reports an error that you don't think is an error, first make sure it actually does work and then report it to the forum thread, where Jamie550 will make the necessary corrections as soon as practically possible. In a similar way, if you discover a bug that wasn't detected by the Validator and cost you some time, report it as well!
- Check that the basic syntax is correct, and detect issues with brackets.
- Advanced checking of scopes, triggers, and effects syntax and validity.
- Checking of buildings, CBs , events, decisions, missions, and much more.
- Detects misspellings, invalid or duplicate IDs, and all kinds of typos.
- Detect missing flags.
- Warns on missing localisation.
Create a new scheme for your mod:
- Game Path: location of eu4.exe. For instance: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Europa Universalis IV. To find it in Steam, right-click on Europa Universalis IV in game library, go to "Local Files" tab, click "Browse Local Files", and copy the path from the explorer window.
- Mod name: this is the folder name of the mod inside ~\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV\mod\. For instance with ~\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV\mod\CK2Laws\, mod name would be CK2Laws.
- Select "Europa Universalis IV" in the dropdown.
- DidYouKnow.pdf in Validator directory, for advanced features.