A - This article is considered an A-class article on the wiki quality scale
So... I added what ideas I was able to glean from various feeds and previews. There's a few more I know exist, but I couldn't definitively say where they fell on the track so I left them off for now (Scientific Revolution is in the Innovative track somewhere, for instance). Do we have any style we want to follow for this page? I left Espionage untouched (it shows), but even little things like "+1 Diplomats" or "Diplomats +1"; "+10% Infantry Combat Ability" or "Infantry Ability +10%" should probably be made uniform. In the areas where nothing had been entered before I formatted it exactly as I saw in the screenshot. PenguinTod (talk) 03:02, 25 June 2013 (CEST)
- Nice work. So far there's no real standard for displaying such information. Once the game is out though, it should be simple enough to update it to correspond with how it is displayed in-game. ~ Meneth (talk) 03:05, 25 June 2013 (CEST)
Is it just me, or are ideas actually sort of bad for your country?
I have lost 5 stability due to my investing into the 'quality' idea, with the 'nobles are worried' random event... and I am like. nobles. look. i swear, if I could, id take every single point I have out of that idea and put it into aristocracy for you! Or just tech up normally with them, and use that idea slot for something else...
I have also gained a whole hellalotta inflation from my national bank... the whole damn reason I took that idea chain was for the 0.1 inflation reduction, but NOOooo... my banks gotta be all sucky and give me random events which make me gain 30 years worth per pop.
More detailed explanations
Can anyone who knows take the time with footnotes or whatever to explain what some of the less obvious modifiers actually do? Unjustified Demands at the end of the Diplomacy section for instance - nowhere in the game, in the manual or anywhere else is it explained what exactly -33% unjustified demands actually means. I've seen suggestions that it refers to the war score cost of everything EXCEPT whatever was used for the CB, but it would be nice to actually know for certain. 22.214.171.124 14:04, 30 August 2013 (CEST)'
Upload ideagroup icons
Sorry if i sound demanding, but currently, only the Innovative, Aristocratic and Diplomatic icons are on the wiki, and i'd rather reformat the entire page in one go. Pinpinolo (talk) 14:24, 13 September 2013 (CEST)
- Right, all of them have been uploaded. They'll be assigned automatically as long as the current idea group names are kept when using the template. ~ Meneth (talk) 17:23, 13 September 2013 (CEST)
I added the administrative ideas, but as you can see they came out as huge ugly boxes.
- Use a table so that you get three columns; one for each for Admin, Diplo, and Military. ~ Meneth (talk) 10:57, 14 September 2013 (CEST)
- That's the plan. Just need to get all the images uploaded (which shouldn't take long). ~ Meneth (talk) 17:11, 13 September 2013 (CEST)
It's probably too late to change now, but I really wish "national ideas" hadn't become a widely-used name for selectable idea groups. Calling these "national ideas" is redundant at best because there all ideas are national in scope. Furthermore, the generic national ideas are called "National Ideas" in-game, indicating that the term "national ideas" are more correctly used to refer to country/group/default ideas rather than the selectable idea groups. If I were able to redesign the terminology from scratch, I would change "national ideas" -> "ideas" or "basic ideas" and "unique national ideas" -> "national ideas", with the term "unique national ideas" referring specifically to national idea groups unique to a single country (and its formable countries if applicable). --Evil4Zerggin (talk) 09:45, 15 October 2013 (CEST)
- It should be entirely doable to change the terms around a bit. ~ Meneth (talk) 09:50, 15 October 2013 (CEST)
- Right, it's been done. General Baker can have the honor of fixing the group ideas on the national ideas page, since he's the one who decided it'd be a good idea to hardcode how they display on the page to the title "unique national ideas". ~ Meneth (talk) 10:22, 15 October 2013 (CEST)
- Also, someone will have to go through Special:WhatLinksHere/National_ideas and check the non-redirect links to see if they're pointing to the correct page and using the correct name. I updated all the redirects, but there's no real way to automate that for regular internal links. ~ Meneth (talk) 10:27, 15 October 2013 (CEST)
- Rolled back to A. I'll let it keep its fancy little star though. ~ Meneth (talk) 02:35, 6 November 2013 (CET)
|Idea Group||Decisions allowed||Decisions prohibited|
Cheaper tech from ideas
-2% per idea, for tech group of its type. I'm surprised it was overlooked for so long. There's even a perfect chapter named "hidden effects" for it. Knowing this will help people properly evaluate those -5% / -10% tech cost ideas, namely that they're not that amazing in the grand scheme.--Coineineagh (talk) 04:21, 5 February 2015 (CET)
How does work Reform Governament decision with National Idea? For example Steppe Hordas? Or Bukhara formed by Uzbek? They hold the Horde national idea or they switch to Generic? Stigni (talk) 14:24, 10 March 2015 (CET)
- Depends on the nation being formed. Uzbek keeps its national ideas when forming Bukhara, but Venice abandons them when forming Italy. Each decision will tell you if it will cause your country to "adopt new traditions & ideas". The decision to, for example, "Adopt Plutocratic Administration" (i.e. change government form) will generally leave your traditions and ideas intact. Hairy Dude (talk) 02:24, 12 October 2015 (CEST)
Missing idea groups
- Yes it does, use ctrl+shift+r to force redownload of page. I've also forced the server to refresh the page. Dauth (talk) 10:17, 2 October 2015 (CEST)
AI idea group choice
- Sorry, I forgot to do that! I added a note pointing to the file containing the modifiers. On an unrelated note, I'm not sure if the name I used for the section is good enough, but I can't come up with anything better --Tre3qwerty (talk) 19:54, 12 December 2015 (CET)
Ideas affecting MTTH
While I'm more then half-way done with the revised section format, I find myself wondering if it's really needed [in the sense that it's an overkill]. After all, similar modifiers affecting MTTH didn't get this treatment [such as advisors ] and I'm worried it will get outdated - again - rather soon since it is a chore to update the section as it requires scouring the whole event folder [I'm not even sure I got all of them in the process].
- Should the whole section be scrapped in favor of a short paragraph?
- Deploy the new format and hope for a more frequent updating [the last was 1.11 --> 1.16]?
- If you're in favor of leaving it should advisors get the same treatment?
I have never read this section. Effects on MTTH or the weight of pulse events I consider not as importent. Rather, if there are events, missions or decisions which made possible by certain ideas/advisors. – Lillebror (talk) 20:00, 2 May 2016 (CEST)