* [[Conditions]] - Used in order to execute commands/events/decisions/etc. only when certain things are true
* [[Country list]] - Basic info on all countries in the vanilla game, including country tags
http:// eu4wiki.com/images/c/c9/Province_ID_map.png Province ID map] (warning: huge)
* [[Province list]] - Province IDs are used in many commands
* [[Scopes]] - Used to determine what entity commands and conditions are executed and checked from
== Tools & utilities ==
822703|Notepad++ Syntax Highlighter]]* [[forum:720987|The Validator - Find errors quickly and with minimal pain!]]
* [[forum:722493|Java Save Game Replayer]]
* [[forum:707474|Scenario Editor and Map Viewer]]
* [[forum:720933|Clausewitz EU4 GUI Mod Editor]]
* [[forum:831597|JoroDox mod making tool]] (wiki page: [[JoroDox mod making tool]])
== Miscellaneous ==
== Tips ==
Get [http://notepad-plus-plus.org/ '''Notepad++ ''']. Standard Notepad is considerably unreliable when it comes to respecting structure and format, and can bring a bunch of unnecessary headaches.* Make sure your Europa Universalis IV folder is automatically indexed by Windows (right-click on folder, ''Properties'', ''Advanced Options''), so that when you search within it, the function can search within text files. When you first enable the setting, you'll have to wait a bit for Windows to do the indexing in the background.
*When trying to find a way to do something, look around the game's structure to see how the game accomplishes similar things. The previous point helps with that (how is X effect/trigger meant to be used?). It's also a useful technique to learn about proper format, how events, decisions and missions work, and how to balance your changes with the rest of the game.
*Uncommon/unknown file types outside the ''gfx'' folder (i.e. .lua, .gfx, .gui) are usually normal text files, and can be opened
a such.*Read the '''Modding ''' section!*Save the '''[[forum:722090|List of Effects, Modifiers, Scopes, Triggers, and Localization Strings]] ''' to a text file(s) for easy access. It's a quick reference to all the gears that make EU4 tick, and there's sometimes usage tips to be found . *Use the '''[http://georgi.hdinteractive.com/a/eu4/color-picker/ Province color picker]''' when choosing colors for your new provinces, to ensure the new province color doesn't coincide with an existing province's color.*If all else fails, drop us a question here in the '''[[forum:708855|Quick questions thread]] ''' over at the official EU4 modding forum.* To merge mods, you could use [http://winmerge.org// '''WinMerge ''']. An easy tool for merging folders and files.