|Available only with the Common Sense DLC enabled.|
Parliament is a government mechanic activated by the level 1 reform English Monarchy, American Republic, and Federal Republic, and the level 5 reform Parliamentarism. Without the Dharma expansion, it is given by the government types Constitutional Monarchy, Constitutional Republic, English Monarchy, American Republic, and Federal Republic. Certain reforms are mutually exclusive with Parliament, e.g. Iqta for Muslim nations.
A province can get a seat in the parliament if it
Each seat in parliament gives the following modifiers:
|+10%||Local manpower modifier|
|+5%||Local sailors modifier|
|+10%||Local tax modifier|
|+10%||Local production efficiency|
However, when a province is assigned a seat, absolutism decreases by -0.15 per province development.
At any point in time, a certain percentage of the nation's owned and cored non-overseas provinces (rounded down) must have a seat in parliament, or random events may occur, giving you the choice to lose development in a random province or add the province to parliament. The exact percentage of seats is differential and depends on the size of the nation.
The debate process is as follows:
- If the country has no ongoing debate, it may start a new debate.
- The country starts the debate by choosing one issue out of a list of 5 randomly selected issues.
- The debate lasts for at least 5 years, during which time the country may bribe seats of parliament to pass the debate.
- Each seat of parliament is assigned a random bribe type to fulfill; most (if not all) seats start the debate opposed to the motion.
- Each fulfilled bribe increases the chance of the debate succeeding each month.
- If the chance of success is 100%, the debate automatically ends. After 5 years, the debate has a 10% chance of ending per month.
- If the debate succeeds, the issue goes into effect for 10 years.
- If the debate fails, the country suffers −20 prestige, and may instantly begin a new debate.
At any point in time, there must be an active debate or issue, or else the country suffers:
Please help with verifying or updating this table. It was last verified for version 1.29.
Please help with verifying or updating this section. It was last verified for version 1.29.
Getting a second issue in the same category is 90% less likely.
|Administrative Reform||Has at least 3 provinces with at least 20% local autonomy.||None||−0.05 Monthly autonomy change|
|Appoint a new Prime Minister||None||Create a skill 3 Statesman advisor, −75% cheaper to hire|
|Appropriate Land for the State||Has at least 6 cities.||One random province of the capital area, chosen when the debate begins, gets +1 base tax.||−5% Construction cost|
|Assimilation and Settlement Policy||None||−15% Culture conversion cost|
|Conduct Nationwide Census||Has at least 6 cities.||One random province of the capital area, chosen when the debate begins, gets +1 base manpower.||+5% National manpower modifier|
|Conduct Nationwide Land Survey||Has at least 6 cities.||One random province of the capital area, chosen when the debate begins, gets +1 base production.||+5% Production efficiency|
|Contribute to Government Debt Payment||Has taken at least 2 loans.||None|
|Create Offices for Vassal Nobles||A random subject gains the opinion modifier “Closer Ties” towards this country, worth +25 opinion with a yearly decay of −2.|
|Election Reform||Is a republic.||Gain +10 Republican tradition.||+0.5 Yearly republican tradition|
|Expand the Diplomatic Corps||None||
|Fund Expansion of Bureaucracy||None||
||None||−10% Advisor costs|
|Fund Expansion of Universities||None||
||None||−5% Technology cost|
|Fund National Monuments||None||Gain up to 10 prestige from seats in parliament.||+1 Yearly prestige|
|Grant Concessions to the [estate]||Has the relevant estate. There are separate versions of this issue for:||Loyalty < 40: ×5||The relevant estate gains 20 loyalty.||None|
|Guarantee Religious Minorities||
||A random owned province that does not have the state religion gets the modifier “Religious Migration” for 10 years, with the following effect:|
|Harmonization of State Laws||A random subject gains the opinion modifier “Closer Ties” towards this country, worth +25 opinion with a yearly decay of −2.|
|Increase Taxes||None||Gain up to +1 year of income from seats in parliament.||+10% National tax modifier|
|Investigate Corruption||Has at least 0.5 corruption.||Lose −1 corruption.||−0.05 Yearly corruption|
|Land Reform||None||Have economic ideas: ×2||None||−10% Development cost|
|Propagation of State Religion||
|Support Ruling Dynasty||
||+1 Yearly legitimacy|
|Appoint a Grand Admiral||Has at least 2 home ports.||Create an admiral with 40 tradition.||None|
|Charter Colonies||Has completed expansion ideas or exploration ideas.||
|Charter Trade Company||At least one of the following:||None|
|Colonial Taxation||Has a colonial subject.||None||+25% Global tariffs|
|Emergency Impressment Act||Has at least 2 home ports.||Gain 1 year's worth of sailors, modified by the proportion of seats in Parliament with ports.||None|
|Expand Navy||Has at least 2 home ports.||None|
|Extend Siberian Frontiers||
|Impressment of Sailors||Has at least 2 home ports.||None|
|Issue Letters of Marque||Has at least 2 home ports.||None|
|Reduce Trade Regulations||Has a diplomatic technology of at least level 16.||None|
|Restrict Imports||None||Has plutocratic ideas or trade ideas or economic ideas: ×2||Gain +2% Mercantilism||+5% Domestic trade power|
|Combat Janissary Decadence||Janissary regiments constitute at least 10% of the country's forces.||
|Expand Officer Lists||None||Create a general with 40 tradition||+1 Leader(s) without upkeep|
|Expand the Army||None||None|
|Extend Officer Commissions||
|Extend Militarization of the State||Has a government form that uses Militarized Society.||Gain up to 20 militarization from seats in parliament.||+0.05 Monthly militarization|
|Quartering of Troops||None||None|
|Support the War Effort||Is at war.||+1 Stability|
|Tax Provinces for Fortifications||Has at least 3 provinces with at least a level 2 fort.||None|
|The Draft||Is at war.||Less than 50% Manpower reserve: ×2||Gain up to 1 year's worth of manpower from seats in parliament.||None|
|Reform Rotten Boroughs||None||Any province has the modifier “Rotten Borough”.||Base: ×1000 Always available if needed.|
|Administrative Support||None||−10 Administrative power|
|Allow Use of Crown Lands||Is a monarchy.||−2 Legitimacy|
|Appease Reactionaries||Province has at least 1 but less than 100 progress towards the current institution.||−5 progress towards the next institution|
|Blood for the Gods!|
|Bribe MP||None||−0.05 Years of income|
|Diplomatic Support||None||−10 Diplomatic power|
|Grant Army Commissions||None||−5 Army tradition|
|Grant Church Lands||The province and country are the same religion, either Orthodox or Coptic.||−5% Patriarch authority|
|Grant Local Autonomy||Province is not the capital.||+20% Local autonomy|
|Grant Navy Commissions||Province has a port.||−5 Navy tradition|
|Grant Waqf||Is Muslim with less than −25 Piety.||+10 Legalism|
|Ignore Corruption||None||+0.1 Corruption|
|Lower Religious Tithe||Is Muslim with at least 25 Piety.||+10 Mysticism|
|Military Support||None||−10 Military power|
|Pay Republic Tradition||Is a republic.||−1 Republican tradition|
There is a version of this bribe for each estate.
||Influence modifier “Parliamentary concessions”, increasing its value by 2% for 25 years|
|Praise Local Regiments||−2 Army professionalism|
|Present a Scapegoat|
|Promote Civil Services||The country and province are both either Protestant or Anglican.||−5 Church power|
|Promote Meritocracy||Has at least 20% mercantilism.||−1% Mercantilism|
|Promote Religious Offices||
|Reconcile Church to Crown||Government type is Theocracy.||−2 Devotion|
|Restrict Imperial Courts||Is the Holy Roman Emperor.||−5 Imperial authority|
|Send Delegation to Holy See||The province and country are both Catholic with at least 20 papal influence.||−2 Papal influence|
||−5 reform progress|
|Take Sides in Parliament||Has at least +10 Prestige.||−5 Prestige|
- Consider adopting Parliamentarian if the nation starts the scenario with a lot of land allocated to the Nobility estate.
- To avoid loss of absolutism, consider rushing political reforms so that you adopt Parliamentarian before the Age of Absolutism. This means a low autonomy level nation-wide, which usually means holding few territories and allowing estates to hold as little land as possible.
- Consider pairing "Political Absolutism" (tier 7 government reform) with Parliamentarian as it helps mitigate the loss of absolutism.
- Only offer Bribes when the nation can regain the currency being offered quickly or otherwise is unaffected by the consequences; Bribes in the form of ducats, monarch power points or increase of estates' influences are a lot more acceptable than (e.g.) a sharp increase in local autonomy.
- Note that sometimes, the Bribes available can be to your benefit, such as granting autonomy to a province, allowing you to manually decrease it for Absolutism (at the cost of unrest), or increasing an Estate's influence beyond one of the thresholds that increases the effectiveness of their bonuses or interactions