Army tradition and navy tradition (collectively military tradition) are long term, floating measures of the pool of experience of a nation's military forces on land and sea. They give bonuses depending on their strength, are gained through actions of the appropriate forces and decay over time if not increased. Army tradition provides higher morale and quicker manpower recovery, and naval tradition provides higher morale and better trade steering. High tradition significantly improves the skill of recruited military leaders.
Please help with verifying or updating this section. It was last verified for version 1.27.
100 army tradition gives 100% of the following bonuses:
Gaining army tradition
- Battles are the primary source of army tradition for small and medium-sized nations. You can view how much you gained in any particular battle on the battle result screen. The exact formula for tradition gain is not currently known, but you get more tradition the more losses you suffer, relative to your total force limit. Losing a battle will cause you to gain more tradition than winning.
- Certain ideas increase the amount of military tradition gained from battles:
- Each successful siege grants +2 army tradition, based on the fort's level versus the max fort level for the sieging army. For example, if the max fort level is 4 and you siege a level 4 fort, you will get 2 army tradition. If the max fort level is 4 and you siege down a level 2 fort, you will get 1 tradition. This is the primary source of army tradition for larger nations.
- Some events can affect tradition.
- Several ideas contribute to tradition:
- Other modifiers:
|Type||Yearly army tradition|
|Trade Company Investment “Township” (DLC required)||+0.025 per Township (limited to 1 per trade company charter area)|
|Active forts||+1 per current technology fort per 50 development (capped at 1)|
|Mughals Government Reform “Rajput Kingdom” (DLC required)||+0.50|
|Republic Government Reform “Noble Elite”||+0.10|
|Joined League War (DLC required)||+0.50 (for 100 years)|
Losing army tradition
The base tradition decays at 5% of the current tradition annually. (This is not a flat –5; thus 20 tradition decays by 5% and will reduce 1 to 19.)
Ideas and policies that reduce yearly army tradition decay are:
|Type||Yearly army tradition decay|
|Mughals Government Reform “Mansabdari System” (DLC required)||-0.3%|
|Monarchy Government Reform “Aristocratic Court”||-0.3%|
|Active Parliament Issue is “Extend Officer Commissions”||-1%|
|Innovativeness (scaling down from 100 innovativeness)||-1%|
Note it is still possible to maintain 100% army tradition with the hussite faith and various other modifiers static and non static.
Please help with verifying or updating this section. It was last verified for version 1.26.
100 navy tradition gives 100% of the following bonuses:
Please help with verifying or updating this section. It was last verified for version 1.30.
- Some events directly affect navy tradition.
- Battles are the primary source of navy tradition. You can view how much you gained in any particular battle on the battle result screen. The amount of tradition gained in battle is directly proportional to the casualties inflicted on the enemy, as well as the relative strength of the nations involved. Small weak nations will gain considerably more tradition when fighting large strong nations. The number of ships that you send into battle, the losses that you suffer, and the quality of your leader have no observable effect on your naval tradition gain.
- Some ideas increase the naval tradition gain from battles:
Traditions Ideas Bonuses Policies +50% — —
- Malayan sultanate ambition
- Light ships that are protecting trade or privateering grant +2 naval tradition per year for every 100% of your naval force limits utilized in this manner. The formula is
- Some ideas increase the naval tradition from protecting trade:
Traditions Ideas Bonuses Policies +100% —
- Maritime idea 1: Merchant Traditions
- Ships blockading ports grant naval tradition.
- Each terra incognita sea zone revealed through naval exploration grants +1 naval tradition.
- Several national ideas contribute to tradition:
The base tradition decays are 5% of the current tradition annually. (This means –5% of the current tradition, not a flat –5; so if you have 20 tradition then decay will reduce it by -1 annually.)
Ideas and policies that reduce yearly navy tradition decay are:
Note: Battles lost will not reduce tradition. It is gained regardless of victory or defeat.
In addition Innovativeness reduces navy tradition decay up to -1% at 100 innovativeness.
Military leadersPlease help with verifying or updating this section. It was last verified for version 1.26.
- Main article: Military leader#Formulas for point distribution