|Available only with the Art of War DLC enabled.|
A march is a military orientated subject nation, which receives bonuses to its army, navy and forts at a cost of paying no taxes to its overlord and being more difficult to annex. Marches are more helpful subjects in wars, and can make an excellent buffer state between an overlord and its enemies.
Benefits of a March
Please help with verifying or updating this section. It was last verified for version 1.30.
|+25%||National manpower modifier|
|+30%||Land force limit modifier|
|+30%||Naval force limit modifier|
|+20%||Manpower recovery speed|
|−20%||Land maintenance modifier|
|−20%||Naval maintenance modifier|
A march only receives these bonuses as long as it has less than 25% of the development of its overlord.
March force limit contribution
Ideas and policies:
Please help with verifying or updating this table. It was last verified for version 1.30.
Decisions and events:
|+100%||Firm Hand||Influence ideas event: “A Firm Hand”||for 10 years.|
Creating a March
Marches are created from a vassal via the "Designate March" button under the "Influence actions" section of the vassal's diplomacy window. Vassals are usually keen to become marches, and will sometimes ask their overlord to make them one. As of the Common Sense DLC, there is a -1000 malus towards an overlord accepting a request from a vassal to become a march if the vassal is next to colonizable territory, not bordering any of the overlord's rivals or enemies, or the vassal is in the overlord's culture group.
Although Art of War is required to designate a march, sometimes it is possible to have a march subject without the DLC.
- Poland or Hungary both have a chance to get Moldavia as a march through the Roman's Invasion Event
- Ottomans starts with
- Any eligible country can get Habsan as a march through the Siddi State of Habsan event.
- Ottomans can get Crimea as a march through the Fate of the Crimean Khanate event.
- The Mongol Empire, Yuan, or Golden Horde can release Ilkhanate as a march if they conquer Persia.
- Any country controlling Kuma (province), can get Kalmyk as a march by event
- If the Golden Age of Piracy event has fired, the player controls Madagascar, and have some other requirements met they can get Libertatia as a march. Requires Golden Century
- If a country controls the right province in North Africa and many other requirements are met they can release Salé as a march by event. Requires Golden Century.
Revoking a March
The status of a march can be revoked for the price of −1 stability and −50 relations, decaying at a base rate of 2 per year. Revoking a march returns the subject to vassalage, allowing diplomatic annexation by the overlord 10 years after the revocation. Note that the stability cost penalty can be negated by completing the Diplomatic idea group.
- Main article: Subject_nation#Subject_interactions
In addition to the generic subject interactions, marches have the following unique options:
|Fortify March||Build a fort, paid for by the overlord|