- See also: Formation decisions
A formable country is one that does not exist at the beginning of the game (although it might in later historical starts) but can be formed if certain conditions are met. A reformable country is one that does start as an independent nation but if it ceases to exist, then other countries with similar culture may transform into it, adopting their flag, ideas, and identity. All the relevant formation decisions can be found in their respective country pages (unless otherwise stated).
All of these formation decisions require that the game is using the historical setup.
- Golden Horde
- Great Britain
- Holy Roman Empire
- Mongol Empire
- Roman Empire
- Two Sicilies
Former colonial nations
Please help with verifying or updating this section. It was last verified for version 1.28.
The following nations can only be formed by former colonial nations who have achieved independence. Unlike other formable nations, these can be formed in games using the random setup. A country can only form one of these nations during a scenario. Around half of these nations don't have unique ideas or events, so the formation decisions are mostly cosmetic, although they usually provide prestige and permanent claims on their respective regions.
All Pirate nations (except for Tétouan who has a core in the 1444 start date) can only appear via special event which allows the player to release this country as an independent country and start playing as it or to release it as an independent Nation (for New Providence, Port Royal and Tortuga) or release as a march (for Libertatia, Salé and Tétouan)
The following nations exist at the 1444 start, but can be reformed by other nations if they cease to exist:
Some countries are end game tags. These countries are not allowed to form other countries even if they otherwise meet the prerequisites. Three exceptions are the last imperial reform creating the Holy Roman Empire, the Roman Empire restoration decision, and Yuan forming the Mongol Empire. However, you cannot restore the Roman Empire as the Holy Roman Empire or the The Papal State.
Some countries are German regional tags. These countries are not allowed to form other German countries even if they otherwise meet the prerequisites. The decision to form Prussia is the only one of these that does not exclude German regional tags, so Prussia can be formed by the other nations on this list, but Prussia itself can't form the other countries.
Effects of formation
- Most formable countries have unique national ideas. An event triggered by the formation decision gives a choice between switching ideas or keeping the existing set. Note that custom nations do not get the event this way.
- Formation of a new country changes "historical rival" attitudes regarding other countries. For example, if Christian Ottomans form Roman Empire, they will no longer be historical rivals with Austria. This also applies inversely; if Burgundy form France, they will become historical rivals with Austria.
- Although diplomatic relations (alliances and rivalries) won't change, the attitude of other non-rival countries will temporarily become "unknown" (for a month or so). This can cause an ally to announce the newly formed country as rival, if this ally is below the rivals limit. For example, if Morocco is allied to Granada and has fewer than 3 rivals, and Granada forms Andalusia, then Morocco will immediately rival Andalusia upon formation.
- Nation formation and reformation can form part of a strategy for reducing core creation cost. Permanent claims given by formation decisions give valuable bonuses such as −25% core creation cost and casus belli over a large area. Moreover, re-forming a destroyed nation allows cores to be conquered for no administrative power or diplo-annexed for no diplomatic power.
- Forming another nation while being the Emperor of China resets all reforms made as the previous nation. This is important to keep in mind if looking to form Qing or Yuan.
- The country decisions with
was_never_end_game_tag_trigger = yesblock these tags specifically.
- The country decisions with
was_never_german_regional_tag_trigger = yesblock these tags specifically.