Europa Universalis 4 Wiki talk:Administration
Needs the Wiki really all these redirects that come from search terms with spelling errors? I mean even the already existing. For example:
Austrai, Austri, Autria, Austira → Austria
Brandenberg, Bradenburg, Brandeburg, Branderburg → Brandenburg
TARIFF, Tarifs, Tarrif, Tarriff, Tarrifs, Tarif, Tarriffs → Tariffs
– Lillebror (talk) 10:10, 29 May 2014 (CEST)
- Redirects take virtually no resources, but help people arrive where they want to go. So they're not a bad thing. It is definitely more important to redirect synonymns than misspellings, but *common* misspellings should be redirected too. If it is on this list, then it is reasonably common.
- I really do need to get this list updated though. I'll try to get that done by the end of this week.
- BTW, I'd love your feedback on Project:Contest, especially on whether there might be any category of contribution I might've missed. ~ Meneth (talk) 12:09, 29 May 2014 (CEST)
- Category – good keyword. There are a lot of images without (content) category like: Category:Achievement icons, Category:Idea group icons, Category:Trade good icons, Category:Building icons Category:Pips, or Category:Interface images. Stupid work that might need an incentive. – Lillebror (talk) 18:55, 29 May 2014 (CEST)
Is the common searches list still being updated? We have a lot of pages that fall into the category that Lillebror mentioned this time last year. Also is this system automatic and thus vulnerable to abuse or manual and a very long winded process? Dauth (talk) 11:57, 11 May 2015 (CEST)
- It's relatively quick for me to update the list. I'll try to do so soon.
- It's based on Google Analytics data, so mostly automated. ~ Meneth (talk) 12:03, 11 May 2015 (CEST)
For me redirects of province names – like Lubeck, Gold coast, Berlin, Ceuta, … – to the list of provinces, one of the region pages or the province page with the lists of province modifiers make no sense. – Lillebror (talk) 08:49, 5 July 2015 (CEST)
- The only one I've added is the Gold Coast which at least is a modern name for a region. Perhaps if its a capital we should link to the nation instead? The point of this page is to show what people are searching for and if they're looking we should try to get them to where we think they want to go. Dauth (talk) 11:05, 5 July 2015 (CEST)
- Not everything on this page needs a link. Sometimes the search results are fine.
- I'll probably restrict the number of searches a bit next time I regenerate it (or drop the pre-Common Sense search history entirely).
- So yeah, make sure what you redirect to is definitely what the user is looking for. For some words, that isn't a single page, and in that case there shouldn't be a redirect unless a disambiguation page can be justified (which it can't for provinces except the most notable ones). ~ Meneth (talk) 11:16, 5 July 2015 (CEST)
Upper and lower case
For example: The achievement “Lion of the North”. It has a redirect - Lion of the North - to the according section on the achievement page. If I type “Lion of the north” in the searchbox I'm also (re)directed to the achievement page. If I would write “[[Lion of the north]]” I will get a red link. But it should be “[[Lion of the North]]” as it is a proper noun and someone will correct the spelling. So, why should we have a redirect for “Lion of the north”??? – Lillebror (talk) 11:19, 27 July 2015 (CEST)
- No need for a redirect, as searching for something will redirect you if a page/redirect exists regardless of capitalization. No easy way to check that automatically though. ~ Meneth (talk) 11:22, 27 July 2015 (CEST)
- Hrr, HRR, Her, HER
Common typos for HRE, perhaps. ‘HRR’ is German for HRE. ‘Her’ could also lead to female, or be a typo for heir. I wouldn’t make redirects for these short common typos. – Lillebror (talk) 08:54, 26 October 2015 (CET)
- In the first then I think it should be changed, I'll do that. For the latter Meneth also checked some against where the users went next so we were able to identify where the users were going. Dauth (talk) 19:31, 26 October 2015 (CET)
- Looks fine from the few articles I checked. Is it in a specific page? ~ SolSys (talk) 14:30, 6 September 2017 (CEST)
- Talk:Europa_Universalis_4_Wiki is unusable due to a PHP exception. Also the simplest stuff like <math>abc</math> causes an error box during preview with "API error: internal_api_error_MWException". That said, I just noticed that the errors only happen when I select the third option in Special:Preferences under Appearance - Math. --Malkanto (talk) 16:30, 6 September 2017 (CEST)