From the churches of Rome, the people are called to abide by the one true faith. From the palaces of Vienna, the subjects are commanded to obey their chosen ruler. From the streets of Paris, a new generation of citizens pursues its own zealous mission. All choose their path, all aspire to Empire.
Emperor revitalizes gameplay for the Holy Roman Empire, the Papal State and other Catholic nations, while also adding greater interactivity in the management of a kingdom’s internal affairs.
- A Powerful Pope: Appoint cardinals, publish Papal Bulls and gather tithes. The Vatican and Papal Controller now have new abilities to sway the souls of Christendom.
- New Holy Roman Empire Systems: Imperial Incidents provide new challenges to the Emperor's power and authority. Will your empire follow a course to a centralized monarchy or decentralized federation?.
- Revolutions Revamped: The spirit of Revolution is a contagion that must be either embraced or vigorously opposed. Use the guillotine and revolutionary guard to enforce the new way of thinking.
- The Hussite Faith: Bohemia has an early game chance to embrace heresy and stand alone against the Pope until The Reformation.
- Hegemonies: If you accomplish great feats, you should expect great rewards. Seize the mantle of honor for accumulating great wealth and armies.
- New Missions: Over 20 new unique mission trees for a variety of European nations
- Defender of Faith: With great responsibility comes great power. Earn more bonuses for defending a major religion than for defending a small one.
- The Council of Trent and Counter-Reformation: Join other Catholic rulers to slow down the spread of the Reformation by making concessions to the unruly mob or harshly imposing the will of God.
- Provoke Rebellions: Risk a larger rebellion now while you think you can manage it instead of waiting for discontent to take its course.
The free update includes:
- A redrawn map of west and central Europe
- Rework of estate mechanics
- New ideas
- QoL changes
- and a host of other major changes.
- Main article: Developer diaries
All developer diaries about the Emperor expansion and patch 1.30.
|No.||Title and Link||Description||Date|
|1||A look at this year and the future||A summary of the year, about forum suggestions, and the road ahead.||2018-12-18|
|2||Dev Diaries to resume soon!||The coming weeks and user's suggestions on DD topics||2019-01-08|
|3||Jake is back and talking about the future||DDRJake talks on what can expected in the next expansion and goes over some user suggestions||2019-01-15|
|4||Thoughts on bugfix patch 1.28.3||Highlights from the bugfix patch and some more user suggestions||2019-01-22|
|5||France & Italy||Diary covering tentative map changes for the French and Italian regions||2019-02-26|
|6||The Balkan Map||Diary discussing the possible map changes in the Balkans||2019-03-05|
|7||The German Map||Diary discussing the possible map changes in Germany||2019-03-12|
|8||Missions!||How mission trees are made and their future development||2019-03-19|
|9||Mercenaries||Ambitions for game mechanics in the upcoming European Expansion||2019-03-26|
|10||Estates - Past, Present and Future||Small post airing some future ideas for the Estates mechanic||2019-04-02|
|11||Tech Debt||Explanation of tech debt, and why it's important to reduce it. A.K.A "Tidying Up with Visual Studio"||2019-04-09|
|12||Quality of Life||Quality of Life changes||2019-04-16|
|13||Custom Nations||Improvements to custom nations||2019-04-23|
|14||The HRE, The Pope and the 4K||UI scaling, changes to the HRE and Catholicism||2019-04-30|
|15||Three Hurrahs for Germany||New German and Bohemian provinces; Bavarian events||2019-05-07|
|16||German Missions||Mission trees for German states in the upcoming DLC||2019-05-14|
|17||Italian Map Changes||New provinces and a new Sicilian tag||2019-05-21|
|18||Italian Missions||Mission trees and events for Florence, Milan, and Venice||2019-05-28|
|19||France and the Low Countries||France get balkanised, Geneve shows up as a vassal of Savoy, the Low Countries get a new province or two||2019-06-04|
|20||French Region Missions||Expanded mission trees for France, Provence and the Low Countries||2019-06-11|
|21||Austria & Balkans Map Updates!||New provinces in the Balkans and Austria||2019-06-18|
|22||Austria, Serbia and Crusader States Missions!||Expanded and updated content for Austria, Serbia, and the Catholic "crusader states" in Greece||2019-06-25|
|23||Patch Announcement and Content Teases!||Delay of the European update and next patch to be out post-summer||2019-07-02|
|24||Naples||A focus on Naples||2019-07-09|
|25||HRE electors||A focus on HRE electors||2019-07-16|
|26||Hungary||A look on a new trade node in Pest and Hungarian mission tree||2019-07-23|
|27||Savoy||A look on a new trade node in Valencia and Savoyard mission tree||2019-07-30|
|28||Mercenary Companies||A focus on the refactored mercenary system||2019-08-06|
|29||Estates Overhaul||Changes to the estates feature||2019-08-13|
|30||Strengthening The Pope In Rome||Changes to Catholicism and the Papacy||2019-08-20|
|31||HRE Reforms||Changes to HRE reforms and Imperial Incidents||2019-10-01|
|32||Imperial Incidents||Imperial incidents arrive to make the empire feel alive and rife with bickering princes||2019-10-08|
|33||Farewell From Jake||Jake "DDRJake" Leiper-Ritchie, EU4's game director, summarizes his time at Paradox and bids farewell to all||2019-10-11|
|34||More Imperial Incidents||Dutch Revolt and Shadow Kingdom||2019-10-15|
|35||Polish Days||Improving the economy of the AI||2019-10-29|
|36||Quality of Life||State tab on the macrobuilder, truce deal screen, Switzerland gameplay||2019-11-05|
|37||Vive La Révolution||Total overhaul of revolutionary republics as well as a look at the new Burgundian Succession||2019-12-03|
|38||I'm back!||Johan Andersson returns as a game director to EU4 to work along the current game designer Henrik "Groogy" Hansson||2019-12-12|
|39||A Small Christmas Teaser||Some and clarifications and more information on the teasers so far||2019-12-19|
|40||Huge Balance Changes||Government, Territory, Trade Companies, Naval, Land Warfare, Theocracy Government Reforms, and more||2020-01-14|
|41||More Quality of Life||Military strength in the war declaration view, "go to" button for events, and more||2020-01-28|
|Hegemonies - Version II||A tweaked Hegemony Mechanic, reworked after feedback on the original developer diary|
|43||Defender of the Faith Updates||Defender of the Faith updates and Provoke Revolt||2020-02-11|
|44||Even More Quality of Life||Introduce new heirs, Core All button, view subject mission trees, and more||2020-02-18|
|45||Mercenary Companies||Update in Mercenary system||2020-02-25|
|46||The Kingdom of God||Update to Declare Kingdom of God and Unify Islam decisions||2020-03-03|
|47||Estates and Crown Lands||Estates rework, crown lands, and privileges||2020-03-10|
|48||Italian Flavor||Mission trees for Italy and the Papal States; Italian Wars||2020-03-17|
|49||Catholicism Rework||Curia Coffers, Golden Bulls & the Council of Trent||2020-03-24|
- Forum: Claim What You Deserve in Europa Universalis IV: Emperor, 2020-03-03